What you will learn
Working as part of a team, you will learn to dismantle and rebuild a section of old or damaged wall using traditional skills and techniques over two days. Our qualified instructors will teach you:
- Health & Safety – How to stay safe when working with stone
- Stripping out & sorting stone – How to dismantle and lay out stone safely and efficiently
- Laying foundations – How to prepare and lay strong foundations for your wall
- Setting bars & lines – How to ensure your wall runs straight
- First lift & hearting – How to select and lay stones and the importance of hearting
- Through-stones – How to tie your wall together with through-stones
- Second Lift – How to build and level to full height
- Cover bands & Cope Stones – How to finish off your wall with cover bands and cope stones
What we provide
- All the equipment required to build a wall
- Expert tuition
What you’ll need to bring
- Warm old clothing
- Waterproof jacket and trousers. While we hope for good weather, we prepare for the worst.
- Stout shoes or boots, preferably with steel toe caps. If you are wearing wellies then they must have toe protection.
- Sturdy robust gloves. We recommend getting a pair of builders gloves like these. (Similar gloves are available from other DIY and tool suppliers)
- Safety glasses/goggles. There will be safety goggles available, but if you have a pair, bring them along.
- Tea/Coffee/Water. It’s thirsty work and we’ll stop for regular breaks.
- Lunch is generously provided by Cambo House at no extra cost, including soup, sandwich and tea or coffee, though if you have any specific dietary requirements, please let us know when applying and we will advise accordingly. We recommend bringing your own refreshments and snacks for morning and afternoon breaks.
Who can do it
We encourage everyone to give it a try, but due to the nature of working with heavy stone, the course is only for people over the age of 16. If you have any questions about whether this would be suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch and we can advise accordingly.
What it costs
The course costs £90 per person, starting at 9am and finishing at 4pm on both days.
Booking and Payment
To book a place, simply click on “Tickets” or go straight to our booking form and fill in our application form, making sure to enter your full name, address and a contact telephone number before selecting which event you wish to attend.
Once submitted, one of our members will be in touch to confirm your booking and provide you with a form which you will need to print and sign before returning to us with your payment via cheque.
Cheques are payable to “DSWA – Central Scotland Branch”. Unfortunately we are not able to take card payments.
Your payment will book your place on the course. In the event that you need to cancel, please provide at least 24 hours notice and we will be happy to provide a full refund.
Buying as a gift
If you would like to purchase one of our courses as a gift for someone, please tick the “Purchasing as a gift” box on the application form and fill out the recipients details.
From the A90 just south of Forfar turn right on to the A932 signed Arbroath then in a few yards turn right again at Lochlands Restaurant and caravan park. This road bends sharply left. From here South Mains farm is the first on the right. From the North on A90, the road is signed Ladenford and Lour. Then follow directions as above.