Whether you’re thinking about repairing a dry stone wall, or simply interested in how a dry stone wall stays up, why not try a 2 day Beginners Training Course in Dry Stone Walling.
Below you will find a calendar of our training events for the year. We typically run 3 – 4 courses from April through to September. If you don’t see a date which suits, or you are interested in booking a place for next year, please feel free to drop us a note of interest via the Contact Us form and we’ll let you know of any new dates as we add them.
Dry Stone Wall at Cambo Estate, Fife
Our Training Sites
We have two main sites that we use for our training courses, seen below on our map. The beautiful Cambo Estate just outside Kingsbarns in Fife and picturesque Blackruthven near Perth. Both offer sandstone walls perfect for both newcomers and seasoned members to practice on. This year we added South Mains farm near Forfar to our programme. We also work with a number of organisations to provide unique training courses.
Our Beginners Training Course in Dry Stone Walling
What you will learn
You will learn to dismantle and rebuild a section of old or damaged wall over two days. Our qualified instructors will teach you:
- Health & Safety – How to stay safe when working with stone
- Stripping out & sorting stone – How to dismantle and lay out stone safely and efficiently
- Laying foundations – How to prepare and lay strong foundations for your wall
- Setting bars & lines – How to ensure your wall runs straight
- First lift & hearting – How to select and lay stones and the importance of hearting
- Through-stones – How to tie your wall together with through-stones
- Second Lift – How to build and level to full height
- Cover bands & Cope Stones – How to finish off your wall with cover bands and cope stones
What we provide
- All the equipment required to build a wall
- Expert tuition
What you’ll need to bring
- Warm old clothing
- Waterproof jacket and trousers. While we hope for good weather, we prepare for the worst.
- Stout shoes or boots, preferably with steel toe caps. If you are wearing wellies then they must have toe protection.
- Sturdy robust gloves. We recommend getting a pair of builders gloves like these. (Similar gloves are available from other DIY and tool suppliers).
- Safety glasses/goggles. There will be safety goggles available, but if you have a pair, bring them along.
- Tea/Coffee/Water. It’s thirsty work and we’ll stop for regular breaks.
- Packed Lunch. Walling requires a lot of physical energy so we recommend bringing plenty of food and snacks to keep you going through the day. We do offer soup & sandwiches at some of our events but some locations are too remote to provide this. When booking your course, check to see if you need to bring your own lunch.
Who can do it
We encourage everyone to give our training course a try, but due to the nature of working with heavy stone, the training course is only for people over the age of 16. If you have any questions about whether this would be suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch and we can advise accordingly.
What it costs
The course costs £90 per person, starting at 9am and finishing at 4pm on both days.
Booking and Payment
Simply fill in our application form here, making sure to enter your full name, address and a contact telephone number before selecting which event you wish to attend.
Once submitted, one of our members will be in touch to confirm your booking and provide you with a form which you will need to print and sign before returning to us with your payment via cheque.
Cheques are payable to “DSWA – Central Scotland Branch”. Unfortunately we are not able to take card payments.
We also accept payments by bank transfer. Just ask for the details.
Your payment will book your place on the course. In the event that you need to cancel, please provide at least 24 hours notice and we will be happy to provide a full refund.
Buying as a gift
If you would like to purchase one of our courses as a gift for someone, please tick the “Purchasing as a gift” box on the application form and fill out the recipients details.